Apr 23, 2021
Banner Code: BCRA
Minimum Basic Skills Requirements
A student attempting a clock hour certificate program must meet certain minimum skills requirements as established by the state of Florida, Division of Law Enforcement.
Students seeking admission to any of the limited access programs listed in this section must take and pass the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (FBAT), appropriate to the discipline they are applying for, prior to being admitted to the program.
The certificate in Basic Law Enforcement is designed to assist students seeking to qualify for the State Certification Examination for Law Enforcement Officer in the state of Florida.
To be eligible for these programs a student must:
- meet minimum requirements as set forth by Florida statutes and Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- meet general admission requirements. Admissions requirements parallel the employment standards for Law Enforcement as established and modified periodically by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission and,
- successfully complete the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (FBAT), appropriate to the discipline applied for.
(420 clock hours) (14 occupational credits)
Limited Access Program
To be eligible for this program a student must:
- be at least 19 years of age,
- be a U.S. citizen,
- be a high school graduate or have GED,
- pass a physical exam, and
- successfully complete the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test for Correctional Officer.
Required Courses: 420 clock hours, 14 occupational credits
- CJK 0335 - Responding to Incidents and Emergencies 16 clock hours, .53 occupational credits
- CJK 0325 - Supervising in a Correctional Facility 40 clock hours, 1.33 occupational credits
- CJK 0305 - Communications 40 clock hours, 1.33 occupational credits
- CJK 0031C - First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers 40 clock hours, 1.33 occupational credits
- CJK 0040C - Criminal Justice Firearms 80 clock hours, 2.67 occupational credits
- CJK 0051C - Defensive Tactics 80 clock hours, 2.67 occupational credits
- CJK 0300 - Introduction to Corrections 32 clock hours, 1.07 occupational credits
- CJK 0315 - Facility and Equipment 8 clock hours, .27 occupational credits
- CJK 0310 - Officer Safety 16 clock hours, .53 occupational credits
- CJK 0340 - Officer Wellness and Physical Abilities 30 clock hours, 1 occupational credit
- CJK 0320 - Intake and Release 18 clock hours, .6 occupational credits
- CJK 0330 - Supervising Special Populations 20 clock hours, .67 occupational credits
Correctional Basic Recruit Total: 420 clock hours, 14 occupational credits