Jul 14, 2020
Banner Code: PTAA
Associate in Science
(74 credit hours)
The Associate in Science in Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) program is designed to graduate physical therapist assistants to assist physical therapists in the rehabilitation of patients/clients.
To be officially considered for admission into this program, a student must:
- have a high school diploma or GED certificate,
- obtain the general college admission application by calling the FGC Admissions Office, (386) 754-4396. Submit the completed application to the Office of Admissions,
- complete a supplemental PTA department application,
- take a placement exam as prescribed by State Board of Education Rule. For placement testing, make an appointment by calling (386) 754-4335,
- complete all first year general education courses with a grade of C or better.
Students will comply with FDLE screening when admitted. In addition, students will be certified drug free by urinalysis.
Clinical Agency Requirements: In order to meet clinical agency requirements where student training will take place, all students in Nursing and Health Sciences Programs must now meet state and federal regulations as described by Florida Statutes S. 400.211. An in-depth background screen is required. In addition, students must establish that they are drug free by voluntarily submitting to a drug screening analysis.
A student is required to successfully complete all of the following Phase 1 courses before being formally accepted into the second year of the PTA program. A grade of C or better is required in each course with an average GPA of 2.5 to be considered for admission in the PTA program. Phase 1 courses need to be completed by the end of the Spring Semester of the year of application. The following sequence is suggested for taking the Phase 1 courses:
First Semester Phase I: 16 Credit Hours
Second Semester Phase I: 16 Credit Hours
*Anatomy & Physiology I and II must be completed within the last five years prior to starting PTA second year.
Third Semester Phase II Fall: 15 Credit Hours
Fourth Semester Phase II Spring: 17 Credit Hours
Fifth Semester Phase II Summer C: 10 Credit Hours
Physical Therapist Assistant A.S. Total 74 Credit Hours
- must be officially selected into the program,
- must maintain a grade of C or better in all courses according to program grade scale,
- must provide their own transportation to area clinical facilities,
- must have health insurance, and
- must buy liability insurance which is available at summer C registration at the student’s expense.
Completion of Phase 1 does not guarantee admission into Phase 2. Interested students should contact the Office of Admissions at (386) 754-4396 for a program information packet.