Nov 29, 2021
Banner Code: COSM
(1,200 clock hours) (40 occupational credits)
The certificate in Cosmetology is designed to provide the training to acquire skills and knowledge necessary to become a licensed cosmetologist.
New classes begin each January and August.
This program is based on clock-hour attendance. A student must complete the minimum specified hours to receive his or her certificate. Seating is limited and students are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will perform hair care services for all types of hair including hair analysis, hair cutting, hairstyling, hair coloring and lightening, permanent waving and chemical relaxing.
- Students will perform natural nail services including manicuring and pedicuring.
- Students will perform basic skin care services including skin analysis, facials, makeup application and superfluous hair removal.
- Students will demonstrate customer service skills, self-growth and personal development.
To be eligible for this program a student must:
- be at least 16 years old and either a high school graduate or have a GED certificate, or be a nonhigh school graduate who has been out of high school at least six months,
- take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) and score a minimum of 572 in language, 577 for math, and 576 for reading by the end of the program,
- complete the required data for the State Board of Cosmetology, and
- meet with an advisor from the Cosmetology Dept. for advising.
Transfer students will be tested in each cosmetology area and evaluation credit will be awarded accordingly. Students must make a C or better to continue to the next course in the program.
Required courses in program:
Required Courses: 1200 clock hours, 40 occupational credits
- COS 0510C - Scalp and Hair Care 30 clock hours, 1 occupational credit
- COS 0301C - Hair Cutting and Shaping 150 clock hours, 5 occupational credits
- COS 0400C - Hair Styling/ Designing Procedures 150 clock hours, 5 occupational credits
- CSP 0010C - Manicuring and Pedicuring 90 clock hours, 3 occupational credits
- COS 0011 - Orientation/ Introduction to Cosmetology 60 clock hours, 2 occupational credits
- CSP 0004C - Esthetics and Skin Care 90 clock hours, 3 occupational credits
- COS 0644C - Chemical Hair Restructuring I 120 clock hours, 4 occupational credits
- COS 0640C - Chemical Hair Restructuring II 120 clock hours, 4 occupational credits
- COS 0700C - Hair Coloring/ Bleaching I 120 clock hours, 4 occupational credits
- COS 0760C - Hair Coloring/ Bleaching II 120 clock hours, 4 occupational credits
- COS 0870C - Salon Management 60 clock hours, 2 occupational credits
- COS 0963 - Preparation for State Board 90 clock hours, 3 occupational credits
Cosmetology Total: 1200 clock hours, 40 occupational credits