Apr 07, 2020
Banner Code: XCLA
Minimum Basic Skills Requirements
A student attempting a clock hour certificate program must meet certain minimum skills requirements as established by the state of Florida, Division of Law Enforcement.
Students seeking admission to any of the limited access programs listed in this section must take and pass the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (FBAT), appropriate to the discipline they are applying for, prior to being admitted to the program.
The certificate in Basic Law Enforcement is designed to assist students seeking to qualify for the State Certification Examination for Law Enforcement Officer in the state of Florida.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will exhibit a basic knowledge of the Florida criminal and civil laws, as well as the federal guidelines concerning criminal procedure.
- Students will apply a basic knowledge of the communication skills necessary for law enforcement officers.
- Students will demonstrate basic firearm skills for law enforcement officers.
- Students will perform defensive tactic skills necessary for law enforcement officers.
- Students will apply basic driving skills necessary for law enforcement officers.
- Students will perform basic First Aid/First Responder skills necessary for law enforcement officers.
To be eligible for these programs a student must:
- meet minimum requirements as set forth by Florida statutes and Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- meet general admission requirements. Admissions requirements parallel the employment standards for Law Enforcement as established and modified periodically by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission and,
- successfully complete the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (FBAT), appropriate to the discipline applied for.
(518 clock hours) (17.27 occupational credits)
Limited Access Program
To be eligible for this program a student must:
- be at least 19 years of age,
- be a U.S. citizen,
- be a high school graduate or have GED,
- pass a physical exam,
- successfully complete the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test for Law Enforcement Officer,
- be a graduate of a State of Florida community college training center or vocational technical center.
Required Courses: 518 clock hours, 17.27 occupational credits
- CJK 0001C - Introduction to Law Enforcement 10 clock hours, .33 occupational credits
- CJK 0012C - Legal 62 clock hours, 2.07 occupational credits
- CJK 0013C - Interactions in a Diverse Community 40 clock hours, 1.33 occupational credits
- CJK 0014C - Interviewing and Report Writing 56 clock hours, 1.87 occupational credits
- CJK 0064C - Fundamentals of Patrol 35 clock hours, 1.16 occupational credits
- CJK 0065C - Calls for Service 36 clock hours, 1.20 occupational credits
- CJK 0077C - Criminal Investigations 50 clock hours, 1.67 occupational credits
- CJK 0078C - Crime Scene to Courtroom 35 clock hours, 1.16 occupational credits
- CJK 0092C - Critical Incidents 44 clock hours, 1.47 occupational credits
- CJK 0087C - Traffic Stops 30 clock hours, 1.0 occupational credits
- CJK 0084C - DUI Traffic Stops 24 clock hours, .80 occupational credits
- CJK 0088C - Traffic Crash Investigations 32 clock hours, 1.07 occupational credits
- CJK 0393 - Cross-over Program Updates 8 clock hours, .27 occupational credits
- CJK 0020C - Vehicle Operations 48 clock hours, 1.6 occupational credits
- CJK 0422C - Dart Firing Stun Gun 8 clock hours, .27 occupational credits
Crossover: Correctional Officer to Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Total: 518 clock hours, 17.27 occupational credits