(60 credit hours)
The Associate of Science Degree in Early Childhood Education prepares students for a variety of careers in the area of early childhood. The coursework of this program focuses on the development, care and education of young children. Students may choose from specialization tracks in the following areas: Infant-Toddler, Preschool, Special Needs, School Age and Child Care Center Management.
Graduates may pursue a career as a:
- Child Care Director
- Child Care Teacher
- Infant/Toddler Teacher
- Preschool Teacher
- Assistant Teacher
- Licensing Specialist
- Public School Paraprofessional
- Parent Educator
- Resource and Referral Specialist
- Early Childhood Curriculum Specialist
The opportunities for employment in the field of early childhood education are numerous. Graduates may find employment in Head Start Programs, Early Head Start Programs, private and public prekindergarten programs, the public school system, nonprofit agencies, Department of Children and Families, resource and referral agencies and school readiness coalitions.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to successfully implement appropriate methods for collecting information.
- Students will be able to successfully develop a lesson plan to meet short and long term goals for student learning.
- Students will be able to successfully defend the importance of positive relationships with parents.
- Students will be able to successfully construct a professional development plan.
- Students will be able to successfully demonstrate knowledge of a major theory of development and use of that knowledge in understanding child growth and development.
To be officially considered for this program a student must:
- have a high school diploma or GED certificate,
- complete application to FGC,
- take a placement exam as prescribed by State Board of Education Rule, and
- interview with the Early Childhood Education Coordinator.
Students at Florida Gateway College develop and set their schedules with the assistance of an advisor.
The following is the A.S. Early Childhood Education sequence of courses: