Oct 21, 2020
2015-2016 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Applied Science Degree
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) degree is the designated degree for flexible baccalaureate programs that are designed to accommodate the unique demands for entry and advancement within specific workforce sectors. BAS programs provide degree completion opportunities for students from a variety of education backgrounds, but primarily those with A.S. degrees or the equivalent.
Florida Gateway College currently offers the Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Water Resources Management (WRM).
Bachelor of Applied Science Graduation Requirements
- Successfully complete all courses in the program. All general education Gordon Rule courses and upper division courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Earn at least twenty five percent (25%) of the courses for the degree at FGC. In addition, twenty five percent (25%) of all upper division (3000/4000 level) courses must be completed at FGC.
- Complete 36 semester hours of general education classes, as specified for the degree.
- Earn a minimum of 120 semester hours, or a higher number of hours, as required for the degree, with a cumulative GPA in all courses of at least a 2.0.
- Demonstrate foreign language competencies. The Florida Department of Education has identified the competencies as successful completion of two credits of the same foreign language in high school, completion of a postsecondary course at the elementary 2 level (meaning the second course in a foreign language sequence) in one foreign language or American Sign Language (ASL), or passing scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) for the elementary 2 level course. A student whose native language is not English may demonstrate proficiency in their native language by one of the following:
- Submitting proof of high school graduation from an institution where the language of instruction was in the native language.
- Submitting proof of college attendance for at least one year in an institution where the language of instruction was in the native language.
- Passing an FGC approved examination.
- All transcripts from foreign high schools or colleges to be considered to meet the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Science degree must be evaluated and translated by an approved foreign credential evaluation and translation service.
- FGC reserves the right to validate the foreign language competence of any student prior to awarding the Bachelor of Applied Science degree through methods including, but not limited to, review of official transcripts, portfolio and performance reviews, competency testing, standardized testing, or other methods determined by FGC that are designated to assess the foreign language competencies outlined in state rules.
- In accordance with Rule 6A-14.0303, beginning fall 2015, first-time-in-college students (including former dual enrollment students entering college for the first time following high school graduation in fall 2015 or thereafter) entering a Florida College System institution must complete at least one core course from each of the general education subject areas prior to the award of a baccalaureate degree. The general education core course requirements are applicable to the bachelor of applied science and bachelor of science degrees. General Education core course options are identified in Rule 6A-14.0303. Institutions are not required to offer all core course options, but all core course options identified in rule must be accepted in transfer as meeting general education requirements in the area for which the course is designated. Students may satisfy core course requirements in communication, mathematics or natural sciences by completing a course that has a core course as a direct prerequisite, as shown below.
The remaining courses and credits, in addition to the core course options, to fulfill the total 36-hour general education requirement are at the discretion of the Florida College System institution.
General Education Core Course Options:
Any student who successfully completes a course with an ENC prefix for which ENC 1101 is an immediate prerequisite shall be considered to have completed the communication core.
LIT X000 (not offered at FGC)
Any student who successfully completes a mathematics course for which one of the general education core course options in mathematics is an immediate prerequisite shall be considered to have completed the mathematics core.
CHM X020 (not offered at FGC)
ESC X000 (not offered at FGC)
Any student who successfully completes a natural science course for which one of the general education core course options in natural science is an immediate prerequisite shall be considered to have completed the natural science core.
ANT X000 (not offered at FGC)
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College.
Bachelor of Applied Science Programs
Bachelor of Applied Science
Water Resources Management